Fusion Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
Recipe by Jazzmine from Dash of Jazz An easy and delicious rendition of shepherd's pie made with a North African-spiced lamb filling and sweet potato topping.
3 sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
1 pound ground lamb (you can also use ground beef or turkey)
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 can (15 oz.) Libby's Peas & Carrots, drained
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
fresh mint leaves, chopped (for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Stab each sweet potato with a fork and place on microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 8 minutes. Let sit until cool enough to handle.
3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms; cook 1 minute. Add ground meat and break up with spoon. Add coriander, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, and crushed red pepper. Stir to mix, cook until lamb is browned.
4. Add peas & carrots, tomato paste, and water to pan. Stir until water and tomato paste combine into sauce. Remove pan from heat and spread filling into 2-quart baking dish.
5. Peel sweet potatoes and add them to mixing bowl. Mash with potato masher or large fork. Add salt and black pepper then mix well. Spread sweet potato topping over filling.
6. Bake uncovered 30 minutes. Garnish with chopped mint, if desired, and enjoy warm.