Sweet Beet Swirl Ice Cream
The best thing since sliced bread just might be this beet ice cream with a creamy ricotta cheesecake swirl. Sweet, delicious and refreshing – who says dessert can’t have vegetables? That’s SO nineties.
Serving Size: Makes 1 quart of ice cream
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Olive oil
- 2 15 oz. cans Libby’s Sliced Beets
- 4 oz. ricotta
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- Caramel and sprinkles for topping
- Preheat oven to 425⁰.
- Drizzle some olive oil onto a baking sheet. Strain the excess liquid from the beets and add them to the baking sheet. Toss to coat with the oil. Bake at 425⁰ for about 45 minutes until reduced in size and starting to brown around the edges. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Add the ricotta, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla to a large bowl and whip with a hand mixer until combined and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
- In a blender, combine the roasted beets and sweetened condensed milk. Season with a small pinch of salt. Pulse and then blend until smooth, scraping the sides of the blender as needed to combine everything.
- Pour the mixture from the blender into a large bowl.
- In another large cold bowl, add the whipping cream and whip on high to form stiff peaks.
- Add 1/3 of the whipped cream into the bowl with the beet mixture and stir to combine. Once fully combined, add in the next 1/3 and gently fold the mixture together. Repeat with the remaining whipped cream until it is all combined.
- Layer the beet whipped cream mixture into a loaf pan with the ricotta mixture.
- Cover with wax paper and chill in the freezer overnight.
- Remove from the freezer about 15 minutes before serving. Scoop and serve with toppings of your choice.