Creamy Vegetable Sandwich
Recipe by Shweta Arora This creamy vegetable sandwich is an easy back to school recipe that also makes an excellent quick dinner option.
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 small red onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 vegetable cup (4 oz.) Libby's Diced Carrots, drained
1 vegetable cup (4 oz.) Libby’s Sweet Peas, drained
1 vegetable cup (4 oz.) Libby’s Whole Kernel Sweet Corn, drained
4 ounces cream cheese, room temp or warmed in microwave for 10 seconds
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
8 slices of bread
Make the vegetable sandwich spread
1. In stovetop pan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add onions and garlic. Saute 3 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
2. Stir in Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and all three cups of vegetables. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
3. In large mixing bowl, add cream cheese, ketchup, mozzarella, and vegetable filling. Mix until well combined.
Constructing the sandwiches
1. Spread remaining butter to one side of each bread slice. Place one slice, butter-side down, and spread 1/4th filling on it. Top it with another slice, butter-side up. Repeat to make the other three sandwiches.
2. Heat grill pan (or griddle) on medium. Carefully place two sandwiches on pan. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until crispy and golden. Repeat with remaining two sandwiches.