Crispy Shallot + Jalapeno Green Bean Casserole
2 cans Libby's French Style Green Beans
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 teaspoons soy sauce
salt + pepper to taste
1 cup veggie or chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 cup gruyere cheese (grated)
1 cup white cheddar cheese (grated)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt + pepper
2 shallots (sliced)
2 jalapeños (thinly sliced)
2 cups oil (for frying)
- In a large dutch oven pot, heat up the butter and let it melt.
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour and mix until you have a lump free consistency.
- Add the soy sauce and then slowly add in the milk and broth, whisk on med/low heat until you have a lump free mixture.
- Bring to a low simmer and add in the salt and pepper.
- You will start to see everything thicken up, add the grated cheeses and mix everything.
- Next, in a small sauce pan, fill it with 2 inches of oil and heat it up on med high.
- In a bowl, mix the flour, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and water together until you have a thin batter.
- Toss in the sliced shallots and jalapeños and coat them until everything is evenly coated with the batter.
- Add small batches of the shallots and jalapeños into the oil and fry until golden brown.
- Place on a paper towel so the excess oil can drip off.
- In a baking dish, add a little bit of the cheese sauce to the bottle of the baking dish, add in Libbys green beans and layer the remaining cheese sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 mins at 350F.
- Once its done baking, add additional grated cheese on top (optional) and broil for 2-3 mins, until cheese is nice and melty.
- Add the crispy shallots and jalapeños to the top and serve!