Vegetable oil for frying
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt, plus ½ teaspoon
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus ¼ teaspoon
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
3 cups panko bread crumbs
2 cans Libby's Naturals Cut Green Beans
1 1/2 cup omato sauce or marinara
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella
Basil leaves for garnish
- Heat 1½ inches of oil in a medium pot to 360°F. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon ground black pepper. In another medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, 3–4 tablespoons water, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder until well combined. (Mixture should have the consistency of heavy cream. If too thick, add a little more water. If too thin, add a tablespoon at a time of mayonnaise. In a third bowl, add panko bread crumbs.)
- In batches, add green beans to flour, shaking off excess. Add to mayonnaise mixture, coating well but allowing excess to drip off. Finally, add coated green beans to panko. Mix well and transfer to a large plate. Finish with remaining green beans.
- Fry green beans, in batches, until golden brown and crispy, about 1–2 minutes. Drain onto a paper towel–lined plate. Repeat with remaining green beans (allow oil to return to temperature before continuing to fry).
- Add fried green beans to 2-quart baking dish. Pour tomato sauce over green beans and sprinkle Parmigiano-Reggiano over sauce. Top with shredded mozzarella.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Broil, rotating if necessary, until completely golden brown, about 2–3 minutes.
- Garnish with basil.