Trying to outlast a zombie apocalypse but still need something to feed your kids with veggies in it? Look no further than our "Blood Red Muffins" made with real "blood", I mean beets.
[12 Servings | 10 Minute Prep Time | 20 Minute Cook Time]
- 1 can (15 oz.) Libby's Small Whole Beets
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven 375°F. Spray bottoms only
of 12-count muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
2. In food processor or blender, puree beets and liquid until smooth; set aside.
3. In large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, walnuts, cocoa, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. Add in puréed beets, egg and oil; mix well. Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups.
4. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan.