By Dylan Bailey, MS
It’s official! March 23 is National Chip and Dip Day! A whole day devoted to chips and dip can seem overwhelming. Here at Libby’s®, we want to help you enjoy with your health in mind but without compromising flavor.
First, let’s start with the chip.
Potato, corn, veggie, black bean, pita and popcorn chips? There are quite a few chips to choose from with a wide range of textures, tastes and nutrition profiles. To select your chip with health in mind, look at these items on the nutrition label:
- Sodium Content
- Some chips can pack in the sodium so be mindful of the amount per serving. Chips with “seasonings” or other flavorings are also sodium-rich, so opt for unseasoned or reduced-sodium choices. Let your dip add the flavor!
- Fat Content
- Was your chip fried or baked? Watch out for chips with a laundry list of oils or shortenings on the ingredients panel. Baked chips will have lower amounts of fat than their fried counterparts without missing out on crunch.
- Fiber and Protein Amounts
- Many chips now add flax or chia seeds to their recipe for added healthy fats, protein and fiber. Bean based chips may also provide a source of vitamins and minerals that can round out your healthy chip and dip experience. Strategically dip to boost your nutrition!
- Calories Per Serving
- You might consider a chip with the lowest number of calories per serving so you can make your dip go further without sacrificing its crunchy counterpart.
- Helpful Tip:
- If you buy chips in bulk, controlling portion size can get a bit tricky. Avoid eating chips directly from the bag if possible. Try pre-portioning out your chips per their instructed serving size in individual Ziploc® baggies and saving for later. You could also transfer chips to a smaller bowl to help you stick to a manageable portion size that gives you better control of calories.
If you anticipate your dip being a bit heavier or thicker, you may want to opt for something that is a bit sturdier, like a pita or restaurant-style yellow corn chip.
Your Chip’s Best Friend
Every chip needs a good dip. These dips won’t skimp on flavor and make for the perfect pairings to celebrate National Chip and Dip Day while still your health in mind!
A Dip Above The Rest…
Packed with fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals, this Carrot and Turmeric Hummus will stand up to any chip you throw at, or into it. Pita or black bean chips will complement the flavor profile of this dip well given the Middle Eastern seasoning influences and will have the density to preventing breaking while dipping.
This Dip Isn’t Just For Cowboys
Have you ever heard of cowboy caviar? Here’s Libby’s® Cowboy Caviar – a fun take on this nutritious dip – it’s a protein and fiber powerhouse. With Southwestern influence, this dip combines fiber-rich beans (choose from white, black, garbanzo, or black-eyed peas) and the added option of brown rice, buckwheat, or quinoa. Oh, and there’s also room for two, yes, two, avocados – contributing nearly 20 vitamins and minerals.
Try the recipes above and for more ideas visit Libby’s® Recipe Box.